Filter by Category
in Spring 2021
Portrait Drawing Workshop
with Tina Figarelli
Become confident drawing portraits in this popular four-session workshop designed for students with some drawing experience.
Working from photographs with graphite and charcoal, use the “sight-size method” to create a realistic, classical portrait. Learn how to plan out a successful portrait drawing and how to avoid common errors.
Demos, handouts, and critiques guide your learning as you complete a self-portrait (or a portrait of a loved one) on toned paper to take home. You’re encouraged to enhance your work by adding meaningful elements to your portrait, such as an object that is important to you (or your subject). Course#DRW103.321.01
What you will need for the workshop:
- Nitram Charcoal sticks, HB & H (5-pack)
- 1 HB pencil
- 1 General’s White Charcoal pencil
- 1 Kneaded eraser
- 1 Sandpaper block for sharpening charcoal
- 1 small lidded container for the charcoal powder
- 2 sheets of Canson Mi-Tienes drawing paper, 8.5” x 11" (available in stores as a single sheets) in the color STEEL GREY. If you cannot find this size in store, the bigger sheet can be cut to size.
- A sketchbook of your choice.
Supplies are available through many online and retail outlets including Dick Blick, Amazon, or Michael’s.
Note: Designed for students age 16 and above with some drawing experience. Students should expect to dedicate time between sessions for practice exercises. For safety, masks are required until further notice.
Drawing for Young Artists (age 12-16)
with Tina Figarelli
Being able to draw is the basis of any art form. In this class, young artists will explore their abilities and learn how to plan, compose, and draw a completed still life. Choose to either work from life or from a photograph. Using charcoal pencil on toned paper, focus on developing your fundamental skills while creating a successful piece with full value and correct perspective. Your final piece is sure to be a frame-worthy work of art. Course# DRW104.321.01
What you will need for this course:
- One Nitram Charcoal starter kit (sandpaper block, H stick, HB stick, B stick)
- One kneaded eraser
- One HB pencil
- One sketchbook (minimum 9”x12”)
- Order conveniently through Dick Blick or other retailer.
Extra paper, charcoal pencils, and objects for the still life are provided in class. Feel free to bring your own objects as well!
For safety, masks are required until further notice.