Filter by Category
Watercolor Painting for Beginners - Online
with Kevin Hunter
Join artist Kevin Hunter on a journey into the beautiful medium of watercolor. Taught online through instructional videos and live Zoom sessions, beginner students will develop their painting skills through exercises and projects that introduce a variety of watercolor techniques. Course#PNT100.321.01
The course includes an instructional video each week. Also included are group Zoom session with the instructor for guidance, helpful critique, and/or questions about your work.
What you will need for the course:
- One Burnt Sienna (Blick # 00319-8040) - One Winsor Violet (Blick # 00319-6740) - One Winsor Newton Cotman BlueBox Set of 12 half pans (Blick # 00337-1109).
- One Arches Watercolor Block (very important that you purchase the block) - cold press, 9”x12”, 20 sheets (Blick item #10020-1003)
- Three Blick Master Stroke Golden Taklon Watercolor Brushes: (1) one inch flat (Blick item #09017-1001), (2) No. 10 round (Blick item #09015-1010), (3) Script Liner Size 2 (Blick item #09014-1002)
Supplies are available through many online outlets including Dick Blick, Amazon, or Michael’s, and should cost approx. $65.
The course runs June 9 - July 21. Instructional videos are available beginning June 9. Zoom sessions are Wednesdays at 7 p.m. beginning June 16. Final Zoom session is July 21. Links to access instructional videos and Zoom sessions are emailed by the instructor prior to the course start date.
Age 16 and above.
Oil Painting for Beginners w/Kevin Hunter - Online
with Kevin Hunter
Explore the enchanting world of oil painting in my new online course from Water Street Studio’s School of Art online.
We will cover a range of topics and techniques that I have developed in my 30 plus years of working in oils. When you complete this course, you will be well versed in:
- How to make a game plan for every piece that is in accord with techniques developed in the Renaissance.
- How to mix a huge array of colors from a very small selection (palette) of key colors.
- How to simplify your subject matter into tonal masses. How to create an under painting.
- How to create darks that breathe and are lively. How to use and blend darks and lights so that your objects are three dimensional.
- How to mix effective flesh tones.
- Understanding the components of an effective composition.
We will begin the course with classic color mixing exercises and creating color charts. From there, you will learn to paint simple geometric objects that appear realistic and three dimensional. Along the way, you will discover various brush techniques and gain an understanding what brushes to use when.
In the last few sessions, apply your knowledge to create a still life, a landscape, and a portrait.
The online format has been a wonderful experience for every course I’ve taught. I am certain that you will really develop your skills during our time together!
Each week, I will provide lesson videos that introduce and demonstrate that week's goals. You will have seven days to complete the work of each lesson in preparation for a one hour Zoom meeting in which we show and discuss what has been done.
The course runs June 10 - July 22. Video lessons are available beginning June 10. The first Zoom session is June 17 at 7 p.m. The final Zoom session is July 22.
Zoom links and supply list will be emailed upon registration. Supplies are available through many online and retail outlets including Dick Blick, Amazon, or Michael’s. Course# PNT102.321.01. For age 16 and above.
Intermediate/Advanced Watercolor Painting
with Kevin Hunter
Join Kevin Hunter for this new six-week course covering advanced topics in watercolor painting. Each week, you’ll paint a complete watercolor painting on a new subject: a still life, snowscape, landscape, cityscape, or a portrait, and one of your choosing. Group instruction is provided in the form of weekly demonstration videos followed by weekly Zoom sessions for review, critique, and individualized feedback.
The course runs July 21-Sept. 1. Instructional videos are available beginning July 21. Zoom sessions are Wednesdays at 7 p.m. beginning July 28. Final Zoom session is Sept. 1. Links to access instructional videos and Zoom sessions are emailed by the instructor prior to the course start date.
Supply list is emailed with your registration confirmation. Supplies are available through many online and retail outlets including Dick Blick, Amazon, or Michael’s.
Course# PNT102.321.01. For age 16 and above.